Saturday, August 19, 2006

In the beginning


Forty-four years ago my family moved from a small rural town in Tennessee to Miami FL and changed the course of my life forever.

Before we moved I was in the 9th grade with lots of friends and even a series of puppy love boyfriends. I had a southern accent, wore white socks and a cute hair accessory to match every outfit. I was happy, cheerful and innocent.

After we moved, in 1962--long before cell phones and email made it easy to maintain long distance friendships--I adjusted to my new environment and quickly lost touch with my old classmates.

In Miami, I instantly ditched the white socks and bows
after being laughed at the first day in my new school. And within a few months I lost the southern accent and embraced the slang and mannerisms of my sophisticated new friends.

Despite my transformation and the absence of communication, my TN friends populated my dreams for decades. But, as higher education, career, marriage, and children became the priorities in my life, TN became a distant but sweet memory.

HOWEVER—a few months ago through a happy set of coincidences I re-connected with the UCHS class of 1966. Over Labor Day Weekend I will be attending the 40 year high school reunion—even though I didn’t graduate with them—and have created this BLOG to share my experiences, photos and memories with family and friends.

I welcome your comments, questions, and suggestions as I prepare to return to my childhood home and see people I have not seen in 44 years.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so excited that we found you. Your name came up several times wondering where you were. As I have said some of us may not have anything in common at this time in our lives but there will always be that love and connection of growing up together. See you real soon. Love you, Phoeba

8/19/2006 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your site Debbie and think this will be a great idea to check up on people.

8/19/2006 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

White socks and hair accessories? Do you still have any of those laying around?

8/21/2006 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was sent this email by Steve Robin with whom I met at that local restaurant. I am so glad that our conversation had this amazing impact. I wish you the happiest adventure and time in your renuion. Please make sure that either you or someone you know beats my uncle at golf.

All the best, sincerely David Filler (dfiller@bellsouth.net)

8/22/2006 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy cow, lesley and nick look so much like you!
i hope you have an awesome reunion.

-krissy

8/22/2006 7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David,
Yes, thanks to you and the chance meeting with Steve, I am already having a ball and the reunion hasn't even started yet!

8/22/2006 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am daughter of Stuart Filler, niece to Ronnie Filler, and sister to David Filler. I am thrilled that you all remain in touch and hope you enjoy the reunion. If my father were alive, he would be there with bells on, probably filling the room with his robust laugh and of course, spiking the punch for old time sake.

Look forward to hearing your stories.

8/23/2006 5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

debbie...i just happened to search the name Ronnie Filler because my Mom (Mary Frances Knight) told me the little boy in the 1955 8mm movie clip was Ronnie Filler. It was taken in Union City, TN. My Mom Mary married Gene Knight back in 1955 and they lived in Cairo, IL until about 1965. The video briefly shows my Dad's Mom (Daisy Knight) holding Gene and Mary's first child Mike...and Ronnie is standing near by. If you get this message please reply back here to Jeff Knight and we can arrange an email where I can send video to you. I live in Chicago area and my Mom said Ronnie Filler was an attorney in Chicago area and that his brother was in Chicago too. I will check back to your blog here to see if you respond. Thanks.

5/28/2011 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Deborah said...

To Gene Knight,
I got your message and would love to see the the video and I'm sure Ron Filler would too! He now lives in NY and I will forward it to him. You can contact me at: debrobin@yahoo.com. Thanks for contacting me. By the way, what is your mother's connection to Union City?
Deborah

5/29/2011 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home