Monday, August 21, 2006

You Lived in Tennessee?

Most people are surprised to learn that I grew up in Tennessee--especially since I don't have a Southern accent. But I did have one when I lived there, even though my parents were from New York and New Jersey.

So how did I happen to be living in Tennessee?

My grandfather, Abe and his 3 sons, Richard, Leonard, and Irving, owned a prosperous men's outer-wear business in New York. After a series of problems with the union in Haverstraw, NY (they set fire to the garment manufacturing facility) on the one hand and the promise of lucrative financial incentives from the State of KY on the other hand, they decided to move the factory to the tiny rural hamlet just over the TN state line.

Leonard and Irving would manage the factory while Richard and Abe remained in NY to handle sales and other front office issues. So in 1955 the 2 Berlin brothers, with wives and young children in tow, moved to the town closest to the factory with the best schools. That turned out to be Union City, TN, population 9,000. While it was a major culture shock for the adults, it was totally idyllic for the kids. I have great memories of playing in fields and ditches, picking cotton for fun, fishing at Reelfoot Lake, bicycling all over town unsupervised, marching in parades, camping with the girl scouts, attending little league baseball games, and generally having a blissful and unfettered childhood.

The Clinton Garment Manufacturing Company operated from 1955 to 1961. Starting in 1959 a series of tragedies struck which changed many lives. My grandparents had leased a house around the corner from us and were planning a permanent move to Union City. But on the very day they were to leave NY, and with their furniture already on its way, Pop Abe (as we called him) visited his doctor for one last check-up. While in the doctor's office he had a heart attack and died. I'm not sure exactly what effect, if any, this had on the business because I was much too young to be knowledgeable about those things, but sometime thereafter the business began to fail. In 1960, my father became ill with a rare form of cancer, but it was not diagnosed correctly for many months. In those days no treatment was available and he died in 1961 at the age of 38--shortly after the Clinton Garment Manufacturing Company closed.

All this time I have selfishly thought only of the heartbreaking consequences for myself and my family, but as I reflect on the situation now I realize how devastating the factory failure was for the employees in that tiny town who were left jobless. I don't know if the factory in Clinton is still standing, but I intend to drive there to see for myself. I know my cousins and I have fond memories of the annual factory Christmas parties for the workers and their families. Our Uncle Richard, who was a semi-professional magician, provided the entertainment until Santa Claus arrived with presents for everyone in a big sack. Although my family is Jewish, I totally believed Santa Claus was real because I saw him every year. (Now I realize Santa was probably my father. . .duh!)

The Irving Berlins moved to Atlanta and with no family left in Union City, my mother decided we too should move. We considered returning to New Jersey, or even going to Switzerland--however in the end we decided on Miami Beach because my mother's parents were there. I have not been back to Union City since 1962.

I just got a notice that the High School in Miami where I graduated is also having a reunion this year. But I won't be going. It can't possibly measure up to the nostalgia filled one I'll be attending in Tennessee shortly.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still can't believe you guys almost moved to Switzerland! I don't know what the hell Nana was thinking with that one...

I also can't believe you thought Santa was real.

You should get some pictures of that factory when you go back. Even if it's abandoned, it's probably pretty cool.

8/22/2006 8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home