Tuesday, September 05, 2006

More of Union City

I can't say that Union City looked like I remembered it in 1962 because it has changed in 44 years. There are now several stores, a strip mall, fast food joints, a new state of the art library and 2 motels on the edge of town since I lived there.

Happily, downtown is much the same, except that most of the store names have changed. I think Main Street is quite attractive and I hope business continues to flourish there despite the addition of a Walmart outside town.

Regrettably, the once proud Davy Crockett Hotel, pictured here, is now a cheerless Senior Citizen Center which rents apartments to low income folks over 50. Fortunately, the Obion County Court House is still an impressive and imposing structure.

I was very pleased to see that the Capital Theatre, Union City's only movie theatre when I was a kid, has been beautifully restored and now houses live theatrical productions. I remember the sign above the small door to the left of the box office read "Colored Entrance." Steep steps lead up to the balcony where we sometimes sat on a dare. Movies were 10 cents during the summer. Right next door is Bennett's, the men's store now owned by Raiford Tarvor who was so instrumental in planning our reunion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Poet Red Shuttleworth said...

My father as from Union City, born there on this day in 1922. My father's name was George Lovel Manley, and my maternal grandparents were Lovel Ben Manley and Margaret Rachel Cloys. I enjoyed looking at your photographs, for I have never visited Union City. Best wishes, Red

11/19/2017 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home